Friday, July 19, 2013

Could-More Uses


Could-More uses

Could is used as the past of can

Example:
She has an amazing office.  She can see the whole city from her window. (present)
She had an amazing office.  She could see the whole city from her window.(past)

The modal verb Could is also used in present to discuss possible actions in the present or future.  

Example:

I could take a trip to the beach on Saturday.

I could sit here all day looking into the sea.

I could clean my house on my day off.

These statements all speculate about present or future possibilities.  


Study the difference between could and can:

I can take next week off (reality).

I could take next week off (suggestion).


Compare:  Could + infinitive (present) or Could + have + participle verb (verb column 3):

I could talk to her forever.  (Present)

I could have talked to her forever. (past possibility).


I’m so tired I could sleep for hours.  (present)

I was so tired, I could have slept for hours. (past)



Don’t forget couldn’t-

Couldn’t + infinitive (present) or Couldn’t + have + participle verb (verb column 3):

I couldn’t live without my cat.  (present)

When I was young, I couldn’t have lived without my cat.  (past)

I couldn’t go to the concert.  (present)


Practice:

Answer these questions:

1.) Where should I visit in Brazil?

2.) Where should I go for dinner tonight?

3.) When shoud I get up in the morning?



Possible answers:  1. ) You could visit Natal.  2.) You could go to Batel.  3.) You could get up at 7 AM.



Decide whether to use can or could:

1.) I have so much work to do.  I _________ work all day and it still wouldn’t all be done.

2.)  He _________ use Microsoft office as well as Photoshop.

3.)  She’s one of my best friends.  I _______ tell her just about anything.

4.) This meeting _______ take all day so make sure you don’t schedule anything else to do.

5.) School is pretty easy right now but it _________ get harder later in the semester.




Answers:  1.) could 2.) can 3.) can 4.) could 5.) could


Complete these sentences:

1.) Something you could do tonight___________________________________

2.)  Something you could have done last night__________________________


3.)  A place you could go tomorrow ___________________________________

4.)  A place you could have gone last night _____________________________


5.)  A subject you could study _______________________________________

6.)  A subject you could have studied when you were in school ___________________________


7.) A language you could speak _______________________________________________

8.)  A language you could have spoken __________________________________________

Complete these sentences:
9.) I couldn’t live in _____________________________________________

10.) I couldn’t have done better on ____________________________________.


Possible Answers:  1.) I could go to bed early.  2.) I could have gone to bed early.  3.) I could go to the park.  4.)  I could have gone to the park.  5.)  I could study Mythology.  6.)  I could have studied Mythology.  7.)  I could speak French.  8.) I could have spoken French.
 

Printable Version:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vzEXy0rxBWI2fc8E2ic8T-HJrUHmZYIiHGO2Nyuxaxg/edit

No comments:

Post a Comment