Friday, July 19, 2013

Can/Could/Be Able to

Let’s look at these modal verbs:  Can/Could/be Able to


1.) Can means that something is possible or allowed.  In this form, we use can plus the infinitive form of the verb.  Can see, can do, etc.

            Infinitive Verb  
                             ↓   
Example:  You can see every part of the city from her office, You can do anything you put your mind to.

Don’t forget the negative form

   Infinitive Verb  
              ↓   
She can’t see the doctor this week.  (He’s not available).

Able to can be substituted at times for can.

I’m able to see every part of the city from her office.


Now compare can with be able to:

I can’t visit her.  /  I haven’t been able to visit her recently.

Mary can meet her tomorrow.   /    Mary might be able to meet her tomorrow.

John can use the Microsoft office suite.  /  Office employees must be able to use the Microsoft office suite.   




2.) Could is the past form of can.  

We often see could with the following verbs:  see, hear, smell, taste, feel, remember, understand
   
    Infinitive Verb  
              ↓   
We could hear the neighbors fighting all night.

     Infinitive Verb  
              ↓   
We could smell her cooking from miles away.



3.) Could versus was able to

We typically use could for past general ability and was able to for more specific situations.

Example:

He was an excellent swimmer.  He could swim faster than anyone.
(general ability)

The surfer was lucky he was able to escape the shark attack by swimming quickly towards the shore.  (specific situation)




Complete the sentences using can or the correct form of be able to:


1.)  David has practiced alot of tennis.  He __________ play against just about anyone.

2.)  I haven’t ____________________ visit her recently.

3.) Judy _______ study if she leaves work early.

4.) I hope we _________________ spend time with you when we’re in town!

5.) I know I _______ learn what I need to know for this test.

6.) I know I haven’t ____________________  learn everything I need to know for this test!

7.)  He _______ speak 5 languages!

8.)  Anyone interested in applying for the job must _______________ speak 5 languages!

9.) She ___________ stop by tomorrow.  I’ll be home.

10.)  I wish she _______________ stop by tomorrow because I’ll be at home.

Answers:  1.) can 2.) been able to, 3.) can or could, 4.) are able to, 5.) can, 6.) been able to,
7.) can, 8.) be able to, 9.) can, 10.) could


Complete the following using can/can’t or could/couldn’t

1.)  I wrote you last year so you ____________ learn about my experience at school.

2.) I write to him every week so he __________ learn about my experience at school.

3.)  I _________ understand how to do this!  

4.) He ______________ understand anything I told him to do.

5.) I know I __________ do it if I try!

6.) He knew he ___________ do it if he tried!


Answers:  1.) could, 2.) can, 3.) can’t, 4.) couldn’t, 5.) can, 6.) could


Complete the following with was/wasn’t/were/weren’t able to:

1.) Everybody _________________ get something to eat.

2.) You _________________________ to visit all the tourist attractions on your visit to Rome.

3.)  I ___________ to finish my homework!  I’ve been busy all week!

4.)  We ___________________ to sleep at all last night!

5.) You _________________ to accomplish all your tasks today!   Good Job!
Answers:  1.) was able to (remember everybody is singular!), 2.) were able to, 3.) wasn’t able,
4.) weren’t able, 5.) were able to

Make sentences 1-5 into question Form (Sometimes changing the subject in order for the sentence to make sense is necessary):

1.) Was ______________________________________?

2.) Were ______________________________________?

3.) Weren’t you ________________________________?

4.) Weren’t you ________________________________?

5.) Were you __________________________________?


Answers:  1.) Was everybody able to get something to eat?, 2.)  Were you able to visit all of the tourist attractions on your visit to Rome?, 3.) Weren’t you able to finish your homework?,
4.) Weren’t you able to sleep at all last night?, 5.) Were you able to accomplish all your tasks today?


Now.....About you!

1.)  (Something you used to be able to do)

__________________________________________________________________________


2.)  (Something you would like to be able to do)

___________________________________________________________________________


3.)  (Something you’ve never been able to do)

____________________________________________________________________________



Possible Answers: 1.)  I used to be able to swim 1 mile without stopping.  2.)  I’d really like to be able to speak Portuguese fluently.  3.)  I’ve never been able to speak French.


No comments:

Post a Comment